Monday, November 1, 2010

VOTE!!!

Two years ago, on election day I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was not only the first presidential election that I had been old enough to vote for, but it was a BIG election. Our country had been through a lot and our economy was suffering. A history of decisions had also put a lot of really positive social programs in jeopardy and well, our country needed help. Being in another country clarified a lot of the political issues while also demonstrating the effect that the US decisions have on the rest of the world.
watching Obama's acceptance speech--2008 Buenos Aires
I called via skype to voters in southern states encouraging registered voters who had yet to vote, to get out there and vote; I volunteered at an event that helped register ex-pats and other Americans in South America to vote. I was excited, I was motivated and I wanted to do what I could!
Our country has made some really positive steps forward in the last two years. This sort of change takes time, as it should. Even though we are accustomed to the fast pace life that modern technology offers, speed is not always our friend in these sort of decisions. Our founding fathers intended the process to take time, this limits abuse of power. Obama is doing a great job. He is creating a pathway for success for future generations, not just for us and for now, but our future. And, this takes time.

I have a unique take on most political issues and find people classify me with haste, which easier to do, than truly understanding the position I operate under. Whatever your political leaning is, I encourage you, on this day to get out and VOTE! It is our responsibility as citizens of the United States to vote. And as we vote, vote with compassion, vote not only for ourselves, but for our communities and the people that make up our communities. Consider the voiceless in your vote, consider the hungry, the homeless, the illiterate, the children of immigrants, those without resources, those who each day are losing resources as budgets are cut. These people are a part of our communities, a valuable part and our quality of life depends as much on their success as it does on our own.  So, get out there, make a difference and VOTE!

BUENOS AIRES
Did I mention I ran into my volleyball coach from freshman year of high school on election night in a bar in Buenos Aires? That makes perfect sense, right? :)

Now go be empowered-- VOTE

--kate

No comments:

Post a Comment