Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thankful Thursdays: Jeanne, Jim, Maia and John

at my summer job :)
This summer, I had a small window of opportunity to find housing in Seattle. It was this crazy transition period. Having just graduated from Gettysburg College in PA, I had temporarily moved home to Oregon for the summer months. Starting my AmeriCorps placement September 1st, I was looking for a lease either starting August 1st or September 1st. I worked long days at an art camp in Tualatin, OR Monday through Friday up until August 7th. Several days after this my boyfriend came out to visit me on the west coast. After his trip out here, we flew back to the east coast together for an extended vacation before my AmeriCorps term and his job started on separate sides of the continental United States. Thus, I had about two weekends at the end of July that I could go apartment hunting. One of my roommates (Sarah, the one from Portland) and I came up to Seattle mid July and spent all day Saturday looking. After a discouraging day, we found one more place on craigs list that we decided to check out. And guess what? That is where we ended up! With over 4 other applicants submitting applications, we were blessed to be selected to live here!

Jim, John and Jeanne
One of the most amazing things about our apartment, in my mind, is that it is only about 8 blocks away from some dear family friends. Of course, I didn't know this until about a week before I moved to Seattle. One of my mom's best friends from law school, her husband and two children lived within an easy walk away--it is wonderful! Today, I am choosing to write about how thankful I am for this family, Jeanne, Jim, Maia and John.

I have known this family my whole life. I am 5 years older than Maia and 9 years older than John. I remember when Maia was a baby and I was convinced that I could understand her baby babble because I remembered how to speak baby :) I remember reading her stories and playing with her. I remember when John was about 5 years old, he challenged me to a chess match and won! I have such wonderful and fun memories of summer vacations, thanksgivings and easters spent with this family.

Upon moving here, they have been nothing short of wonderful! Jeanne and Jim have completely have opened their doors to allow not only me, but my roommates to have Seattle parents. They treat us to frequent Sunday night dinners, they provide us with what ever our apartment lacks (a shower curtain, tupperwear, lunch on Monday, etc.). They also give me with the opportunity to have a family away from family and invite me to family-like events too :)

Jeanne and Jim have also offered me the opportunity to tutor John weekly, which not only is a great source of extra income, but also a really fun way (in my mind at least!) to spend time with John. John is in 8th grade and so fun to hang out with. I really love his sassiness and the way he takes my advice seriously.
Seattle Sounders game!!
Lately, I have also been helping Maia with the college application process. Though completely stressful for Maia, I have really loved being involved in this process. Maia and I have a special relationship. I truly consider her my younger sister I never had. I absolutely love hanging out with her and I am so thankful to be a part of her life and her be a part of mine. It is so great to see that after a handful of years (I think we figured it out to be 6) of not seeing each other, we picked up right where we left off. We can talk about anything and just love spending time doing nothing in particular together. Spending time with her is such a refreshing part of my week, because I feel, more than with any other person in Seattle, that I am home and can be me.


Having this family in Seattle and sooo stinkin close to my apartment has been the biggest blessing that I don't thank God enough for. God has continued to prove His faithfulness and provide for me left and right, and this family is an example of that. I am so thankful for them!

I hope you all have had a wonderful week :) Thank you for reading my second round of Thankful Thursday!

--kate 

No comments:

Post a Comment