Wednesday, November 3, 2010

drawings

Drawings by 1st and 2nd graders
One of my favorite part of working with kids is seeing their drawings and their perspectives on the world. I love how children flourish when given space for artistic creativity. I find art especially wonderful when language is a challenge. It seems to be a means to self expression when words limit. I have seen this with past positions and I see it again here, with New Futures. If a child is at a loss for words, give them a marker and let them draw, then have the child describe what he or she has drawn. It is a wonderful tool to gain insight into the reality of each child.

Wall of Art for the After School Program
Since most of the sweet 3 and 4 year olds I work with speak limited English, it is also a fun way to get to know them. Like with any age, asking these guys what they drew about creates a pathway to getting to know them better and finding out what they care about and what is going on in their lives.  I work with two sets of preschoolers. Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30 to 11:30 I am with 12 kids enrolled in our preschool program (called Colorful Hands--how cute is that name!!). On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-11:30 I provide childcare to children whose parents are taking ELL classes (English Language Learners--formally known as ESL until people realized that English wasn't necessarily their second language!) Here are some drawings by these kiddos.
Colorful Hands Reflection of the Day Journal



It has been off and on beautiful weather in Seattle. One day is rains absurd amounts and the next day a raindrop doesn't look possible with in the next week. Needless to say, on the nice days, we try to take the kids outside!  (Especially when the kids were as wild as they were today!)

SIDE WALK CHALK!

Each child has such a distinct way of drawing and expressing him/herself. I also just love sitting down and drawing with the kids. I find this, in of itself, very liberating. Art is powerful!
Art by my ELL Child Care kiddos

How cute is this little one? He is one of the twins that calls me cookie :)

Surafel posing by the robot I drew him :)

I hope you are all having a wonderful week--we're on the home stretch to the weekend! Make sure to checkout Thankful Thursday tomorrow :)

--Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment