Tuesday, November 16, 2010

it's because he's in love...

"love me, love me!"

Wonderful moments today :)

Today was the first time I got to see the sweet 1st-3rd graders I work with in about ten days and I have to say I missed them! Their energy, though crazy, is so endearing. 

Today, during a presentation on Coloration and Camaflouge, Ellie (the Academic Coordinator, my supervisor) was describing different reasons animals look as they do. 

For example, the snowshoe hare is white so that it's preditors cannot easily spot it, the monarch buttery is poisonous and uses it's bright colors as a warning, while other butterflies imitate these colors for protection and so on. 
[via]
When a picture this picture of a "boy peacock" and "girl peahen" came up, we got to discussing why the peacock had it's beautiful feathers. It wasn't to blend in but...

And as Samuel (2nd grade) so wonderfully put it, "it's because he's in love." And that it is.  How cute is that? It just melted my heart and added onto a wonderful day! 

Some fun peacock facts:

  • the main use of the beautiful train (tail feathers) is to attract a mate
  • a peacock will dance, fan out his feathers and call out to the peahen in attempts to woo her (talk about courtship!)
  • peacocks have an incredible need for companionship, without it they may become heartbroken
  • a group of peacocks is called a party (with all the dancing and love, why not?)

Peacocks are beautiful, but nothing can top Samuel's comment today, I just loved it!

I hope you all had a great Tuesday! 

--Kate


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon your blog today. We were really looking for a picture of peahens for school ( teach a child with Aspergers) and homeschool two of my own) and you had a perfect picture! I really love everything you wrote in this post. Couldn't have said it better! Will have to come back sometime and read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kate,

    First of all CONGRATULATIONS for this beautiful site. I need a favour. I am Mukta Lall from India - currently translierating a book from Urdu to Hindi. The bookall about poems for children written by my grandfather in Urdu in 1964. I need some nice pictures of peacocks and other birds which I am sure will add beauty to my book. I would like to use the pictures of the peacocks from your blog. Can I use these please. Pl. do write to me urgently at mukta.lall@hotmail.com or mukta.lall@gmail.com
    Thanks. Mukta

    ReplyDelete