Sunday, November 7, 2010

letters

I am huge fan of letters--writing letters, getting letters in the mail and people just sending letters in general. I love that letters take a bit of extra time and that because of this, the words are a bit more intentional and in my mind the sentiment is a bit stronger. I really just love everything about personal letters. Words are powerful and very important to me. I love reading notes that my mom has written me and slipped into my suitcase to find when I am unpacking, or birthday cards from close friends. I save these letters and cards and read them again and again. Their words are precious to me and I really savor them.
Mike and Angela, John and I at Mike and Angela's wedding!

This last Saturday night I spent with two dear friends, Angela and Mike. Angela was my roommate from freshman year at Gettysburg College, and Mike is her husband. They met and started dating in the first few weeks of freshman year, thus, much of my freshman year was also spent with Mike. We spent Saturday night eating a great dinner (thank you Mike!), playing games, and just having some relaxed time to catch up. It was so refreshing to spend time with these great people who know me from Gettysburg, not just from my few months in Seattle.

Mike originally being from Pennsylvania and Angela from Washington state, these two have experienced times of long distances separating them. Currently being in a long distance relationship, I asked Angela what helped make the distance manageable. Before I had really even completed my thought, Angela answered writing letters back and forth. She added skype conversations, and emails as well, but first and foremost were the letters. She noted the importance of getting something tangible, and the more I thought on that, I realized that is another amazing quality about letters! A letter is an easy way to tell someone you care in a tangible way. You can actually hold onto the letter. A letter also can completely brighten someone's day. To me, a letter feels like a hug. When I get a letter in the mail, from someone that I wish I could be hugging, I feel all warm and fuzzy and have one of those goofy smiles from ear to ear. So maybe I'll try this with my love so far away in New York?

I generally write letters to people who I wish I could spend more time with. People who I really want to know how much I love them and care about them. As mentioned in my Thankful Thursday: my brothers I send letters to my brothers. I also send them to other children in my life, like Kenia and Jose--two kids that John and I mentored while in Gettysburg. It is nice to be able to do something to show these kiddos (and the others I write) that I care, when I feel pretty helpless in otherwise showing this. Letters are just so great! (Thank you for handling my enthusiasm!)

Speaking of my love for letter communication, and Kenia and Jose--a post coming up will talk about a budding pen-pal relationship. Stay tuned to learn more :)

I am off to Yakima, WA for the week. I am going to SERVES, an annual AmeriCorps training conference. It'll be a nice change of pace--I'll keep you posted!

What do you all think about letters? Love 'em as much as I do? I'd love to hear your feedback!

--kate

No comments:

Post a Comment