Sunday, June 26, 2011

a new place to call home...

Hi Friends!

After some clues here and there, and probably a lot of word of mouth, I am finally going to go into details about my plans for post-AmeriCorps. With less than 3 weeks of AmeriCorps left, it seems only appropriate that I go into all the mushy-gushy details, as Seattle will soon be a lovely place I used to live.

Are you ready?!? Well, friends... I am moving to New York, NY!
Empire State Building
After lots and lots of prayer and uncertainty, God opened up an incredible opportunity that has far surpassed my expectations! I was surrounded by prayer as I flew out to New York for an interview mid-May and was blessed by news about a week later. I received an offer that I happily accepted for a Program Coordinator position with the organization iMentor.
Chrysler Building

iMentor is a really unique and wonderful organization that utilizes technology to create greater access for mentor-mentee relationships to form. Based on a very thoughtful and intentional curriculum, iMentor high school participants email weekly with their mentors who are NYC professionals. Monthl, the mentors and mentees meet up at various types of gatherings.  My role in this organization will be to manage and facilitate 100 of these mentor-mentee pairs. (iMentor has 1800 pairs right now, and is continually growing!) I am so excited for the opportunity to work with this organization, to have my first big girl job, salary and all, and for the opportunity to build relationships will all sorts of people. More than anything, my goal in life is for people to know their inherent value and to see how lovable they are. I truly believe this type of one-on-one relationship is incredibly valuable--not only is it key to creating greater access to opportunity it also shows these high school youth that they are important and that others care about them and are invested in their futures and their lives.
High Line Park
I am a huge advocate for mentoring relationships, largely because of my experience as a mentor. I completely believe that mentors have as much to learn as the mentees do. Check out this post if you want to learn about Kenia and Jose, two wonderful not-so-little kiddos who John and I have the pleasure to mentor :)


Ready for some more details? My first day is August 8th--less than a month and a half away! I have booked my one way ticket for July 30th. I will be working in lower Manhattan (a block from Wall St.) and living in Brooklyn. I will be living with my dear friend Sarena (who I studied abroad with) and her current roommate, Tomi.

Beautiful Sarena is the in the blue, to my left :)
And let's not forget about one of the most exciting things about my move--NO MORE LONG DISTANCE! John, my sweet love, will be living in Brooklyn (he moves into his apartment on Friday!). I can't wait to have a normal dating life and see how that allows our relationship to grow in beautiful ways. Distance has been a wonderful season in our dating life, where we have learned a lot, but it isn't quite sustainable ;)

All the Places I Call Home seems like an even more fitting title to my blog, as Seattle really has become my home. I have loved it here. All the gray winter days, make for perfect and enjoyable summer ones. The funky and quirky people create room for me to be myself. My work with AmeriCorps and New Futures in particular has brought incredible people into my life. I've had the beautiful chance to be closer to many friends, family and other loved ones. Seattle is a place I have loved to call home. New York is next, and though I am sad to say goodbye to the west coast, and Seattle, I am so excited to create a new home in New York.
Goodbye, Seattle....
...Hello, New York!
Thank you for sharing in this excitement with me, friends. I am so glad to be able to share this with you!

Love,




PS If you are looking for ways to support me through prayer, I'd really appreciate prayer surrounding finding a good apartment in a good location without much additional hassle. Thank you :)

1 comment:

  1. Kate: This job sounds custom-made for you! I'm so proud of you and give thanks to God for how He is using you to make this world a better place.

    Lots of love!

    Dean Gustafson

    ReplyDelete