Tuesday, March 1, 2011

photo flashback: studying abroad

Hi Everyone! How's your week going so far? I hope that it has been a lovely start to March for you!

Today, I'd like to reflect on an experience that I am still coming to digest and appreciate. The fall of my junior year I studied abroad in Chile and Argentina. It was an overwhelming, powerful, enlightening, challenging and wonderful experience. I made some great friends, I learned  A LOT about myself, and I got a taste of two beautiful countries in South America.

Because I could go on for hours about all the details that only I find interesting and all I've learned, I think a photo flashback might be the best way to convey the beauty of my abroad experience... enjoy :)

Santiago, Valparaiso and La Sarena, Chile
La Sarena, my last week abroad
Erin showing off the Bellas Artes Museum in Santiago
Chilean flag flying high in Valpo






 Southern Chile
staying in a Mapuche village with the kindest family I've ever known

Pucon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
our whole group with una Madre (de la Plaza de Mayo)
LOVE THESE GIRLS
shopping for Thanksgiving dinner in 90 degree weather 
Marching with the Madres


Mendoza, Argentina
bicycle wine tour!
enjoying a meal in Mendoza
about to go white water rafting!
we survived.... barely :)



These are a few of the pictures I used in my final photo essay about the art that came from the horrible 1976 dictatorship in Argentina. We had the opportunity to march with the Madres de Plaza de Mayo who continue to march every Thursday at 11:30 initially protesting the disappearance of their children and now protesting this and various other social justice offenses.




What a wonderful experience that both challenged and refreshed me :)

Happy Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment