Monday, March 7, 2011

self portraits

Hi there everyone!

Self portraits have been one of my favorite activities that I've done with my New Futures kiddos. Any type of art work gives you a glimpse into a child's soul,  especially when asked to draw oneself, and what one sees and what one feels. You can learn a lot from what a child draws and how a child draws.

This was the last activity we did with Ellie, the former academic coordinator. She is now beginning a new adventure of her life. The transition has been challenging, as all transitions are. Erika (the new academic coordinator) and Ellie had a week of overlap, which was a great transition tool for the children. Now, with Ellie gone, the children are feeling it, as are the staff. They (and I) miss her dearly. I feel in many ways, that my work with New Futures and as an AmeriCorps has dramatically changed, and that I will reflect on my experience in two pieces.

Ellie's last request of me, officially as my supervisor, was to hang up these beautiful self portraits around the room :)

Here a few of the self-portraits that really stood out to me.

Yusuf, 1st grade
Anam, 2nd grade
Alejandro, 1st grade
Melat, 1st grade
Samuel, 2nd grade
Nargiza, 4th grade
Katib, 5th grade


Aren't these great?! I just love these guys :)

I hope you all have had a great start to your week! 




1 comment:

  1. oh Kate, I miss you too! Just saw this post. The kids' portraits are so incredible. They are truly lucky to have you as a constant, optimistic support during this year of crazy changes.

    ReplyDelete