Friday, October 29, 2010

highlights of the week!

Happy Friday!! We made it through another week--and what a wonderful fall week it was! In Seattle we had lots of rain but today is pure sunshine! What a gift :) It doesn't get much better than a crisp yet sunny fall day!

Lots of little highlights from the week.

by Ali, age 4
1. On Wednesday, we used the last 15 minutes of Colorful Hands, the preschool program, to draw in our journals--to reflect on the day. The kids (3 and 4 year olds) are all at very different levels of development--with gross and fine motor skills, body awareness and socialization. This journaling time is really wonderful. It is a great way to practice reflection and develop pre-literacy skills that enable solid literacy skills to form in the upcoming years. During this time, several of the kids drew pictures of me! It was so cute, just melted my heart. I love these little munchkins.
by Kevin, age 3.5

2. On my drive home yesterday I saw a new New York license plate. I miss the east coast so much, especially New York and Gettysburg. Thus, whenever I see a bit of overlap in my Seattle life with my loved ones on the east coast my insides get all warm and fuzzy feeling. Just a little connection to those wonderful people makes me smile all over :)

3. YOGA! I am a recent "yoga convert." I absolutely love what yoga does to my body. It releases so much tension while working the muscles and stretching them in much needed ways. I walk into a yoga studio and I feel at peace, almost to the point of tears. It is just wonderful. So this week, I pushed myself way outside of my comfort zone. I went to a new yoga studio, by myself. For some reason, I get super apprehensive about trying new things like this that have the potential for me to make a fool of myself. Thus, actually getting there was a big deal. I left feeling relaxed and so accomplished by overcoming my silly little fear.


Megan and I--spring 2010
4. Getting to talk to Megan White and Teryll Evans :) These two ladies are two of my best friends ever. They are from different parts of my life (proving my blog title to be true!).Megan and I went to Gettysburg College together and became best friends freshman year. She took me home for all those breaks I couldn't fly home for and totally allows me to be completely me. She is just wonderful! She is in the middle of wedding planning, so getting to hear all the fun and exciting details and just talk to such a loving person makes me one happy lady!

Can you tell we have fun together? Megan and I--fall 2009 

Teryll and I have been best friends since 3rd grade and have been neighbors since I was in 4th or 5th grade. We just get each other and I totally trust her. I can be me, all sides of me, and trust that she will have my back and support me always. I love them both, so much!
Teryll and I--Summer 2009
Megan is currently in Baltimore and Teryll is in Portland, so getting to have sweet conversations with each of these ladies makes the distance seem that much smaller.

What were the highlights of your week? Anything special planned for the weekend? I hope you are able to dress up, be silly and have fun this halloween weekend!

--Kate

1 comment:

  1. Kate-- I just saw a link to your blog in my facebookk perusing.. it was soo good to read about some of what you've been up to! Glad to hear you're doing well! Let me know when you're back on the east coast! :-)

    ReplyDelete