Monday, October 25, 2010

The ArtsCorps

Last Friday we had the Washington State AmeriCorps Launch. This is where all the AmeriCorps members serving in Washington State gather for the official kick off for our term of service. There were over 1000 volunteers there, all serving in various ways with AmeriCorps. I recognized some familiar faces--AmeriCorps members I had met on the bus to work, or at a tutor training, it was pretty cool to see how many AmeriCorps members there are and what a presence they make in the city of Seattle. The event took place at the Seattle Center, which is right next to the Space Needle. It was a beautiful day and I got a couple great pictures using my phone.


My favorite part of the day was not the Pad Thai I had for lunch (surprising, I know!) or saying the AmeriCorps pledge, or even hearing testimonies from AmeriCorps past; my favorite part of this gathering was a presentation by The ArtsCorps. This is an INCREDIBLE organization that seeks to empower and inspire children and communities through art. If you know anything about my passions, you recognize that art empowerment with children is at the core. I super impressed by the woman who presented about the organization, and how through simply listening to her, I felt empowered to be more of who I am. This organization that art exposure and art education are crucial in the development of critical thinking, persistence and reflection--I couldn't agree more! Two artists from this organization then led an interactive component to their presentation, where all the AmeriCorps were challenged to follow different rhythms and lead and follow based on the need of the group. I was overwhelmed and so heart warmed by this.

President Obama is using this organization as pilot organization (since it has existed for the last 10 years) for an Artist Corps based off of the New Deal. He used this in his platform during his election and is following through with his commitment to the arts and arts education. Not only does this make my heart smile, I just hope in some way, whether with this organization or a similar one, I can become part of this movement. Art is empowering, liberating, healing and so important. There are no rights or wrongs, just an expression of self and how one views the world. How beautiful is that?


I hope you all have had a wonderful start to your week!


No comments:

Post a Comment