Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Where I'm from" an Art Show!

So, if you hadn't gathered from the title, this blog is all about the places I call home. These places include the greater Portland area, Seattle, New York, Gettysburg, and every place that has someone I love, so Baltimore, Kirksville, Argentina, Virginia, California and the list goes on and on and on.

So, what makes your home a home? Is home a place or a person or something else? What types of emotions do you feel at home? How can you describe your home? What have you learned from your home?

...These are all questions we asked our New Futures first through six graders! The last month we have spent significant amount of time on Accordion Books dedicated to home. Each page displayed a different component of home. We gave the kids a lot of freedom to describe what they wanted to about where they are from and what home is to them, and let me tell you, they did a great job! One of my favorite portions of their "home book" was a page dedicated to poetry. Ellie, my supervisor, asked me to plan and present the lesson on poetry, and i absolutely loved the opportunity to do so! Poetry was one of my favorite things to do with the El Centro kids I worked with a couple summers ago, and so I was happy to do poetry with these kiddos. It is such a great way to get a look into a child's heart :)


Considering I find the definition of home so complex and beautiful, I really loved this project and how it made the kids think about their realities.

After a month of hard work, we celebrated tonight with an ART SHOW!! We called it, "Where I'm from." We invited their parents, teachers and friends to come and check out all the kids hard work. We completely transformed our space and offered a delicious spread of food. Overall, it was a GREAT success, and so much fun to see the kids proud of their accomplishments.

Here are some pictures from the evening :)








Doesn't it look great?

No comments:

Post a Comment