Monday, December 20, 2010

a full friday, a holiday party and a christmas pageant


This weekend was a wonderful holiday-activity-filled weekend! (was that a mouthful or what?) I came home to the Portland area for a nice and jam- packed 3 day weekend! If you were wondering, that's why it has taken me awhile to write a new post.

My Friday was filled with an early morning breakfast with my daddio, errands around town, lunch and shopping with my grandma, and a great evening with Mark and Jeff.
One of my favorite things about coming home are my early morning breakfasts with dad. Being the busy gal I am, and my dad being the busy guy he is, we don't often get a lot of big chunks of time quality time together, especially without interruptions. I cherish our early morning breakfasts filled with catch up and wisdom sharing conversations. We always go to the same restaurant, Millers Homestead, and eat yummy food and just enjoy each others company. This early morning rendezvous was no different and equally wonderful. After that, I did errands around town and then headed up to see my grandma. I always have a really relaxing and rejuvenating time with my grandma, and this Friday was no exception. One of my favorite things about my grandmother is her flexibility. She is so able to go with the flow, I don't need to worry about being five minutes late or staying an extra hour. She loves spending time with me and will do so on whatever pretense; this feeling is definitely mutual :)
After returning from my grandma's, I spent the evening with one my dearest friends from high school, Mark, and his good friend Jeff. I love friendships that are so easy to pick up where you left off, where there is no tension or pressure, and you can just be your ever changing, always the same self. Mark is one of those friends. He, along with a handful of other friends, played a really defining role in my high school experience. It was so nice to catch up with him and spend time with Jeff too. The three of us had wonderful conversation, relating to how facebook is changing our reality of friendship to how you know when someone is the one and many little interrupting anecdotes in between. We just sipped wine and enjoyed the conversation. Even when the power went out, we just continued talking. As the night went on, Mark started demonstrating his DJ skills for us, which was incredible and so much fun. Overall, it was just one of those sweet times spent with good friends and filled with good conversation and cheap wine.
Mark and Jeff a couple summers ago

Me and Mark the night I left for Gettysburg College before my freshman year--love this one :)

Saturday was another wonderful day. My mom and I had a really great time at coffee, just getting some time to really talk and catch up. I love getting to talk about how I am doing on the heart level, and hearing my mom's wisdom and advice. I also just have a really great time with her, and know how much she loves me too. Family is so great! After coffee we prepared for our annual holiday potluck party. We have been having this holiday shindig for as long as I can remember and I absolutely love it! Some years we are snowed in and only our neighbors can come, other years we have around 80 guests! It is always great to see old family friends, new neighbors, and everyone in between while eating the most delicious hodgepodge of food! I tended the fire and mingled away all evening long. These are perhaps two of my favorite things to do! After all the guests had left, my mom, wonderful neighbor Teryll and I plopped down and watched A White Christmas to top off a perfect day.

Sunday was the day that initially triggered my coming back to the Portland area. My brothers were performing in a Christmas Pageant at their church! And boy, did they do a great and adorable job! The pageant was how I would imagine any pageant by children who had limited practice would be--adorably wonderful and filled with pauses, nervous smiles and lots of laughs! It was absolutely wonderful getting to be there and support my brothers. Spending the afternoon with them afterwards was also pretty great :)
Needless to say, I am officially in the Christmas spirit! I sang along to Christmas carols most of my drive tonight, back up to Seattle.
Matt as Joseph

Andrew as Zechariah 
Sean as a wiseman

I love this shot!

I hope you all have a wonderful week, last couple days before Christmas! I know I will be busy finding presents for my brothers, wrapping gifts, baking cookies and hopefully finally getting my room clean! There will also be at least two more blog posts too, so stay tuned!




PS Did I mention I also got to decorate a few Christmas trees? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment